Create this simple and spring themed DIY Custom Framed Art, a perfect Mother’s Day craft for less than $5!
Wood cut outs
Hot glue, glue gun
Look at your local thrift store for picture frames as low as .50 cents each. Craft stores such as Hobby Lobby and Michael’s will have scrapbook paper such as the piece you see here as well as the wooden cut outs. Cut outs such as these come in a variety of shapes and are around $1 each. In all, you should be able to craft this project for less than $5!
1. Begin by dissembling your frame (discard the glass but keep the backing) and laying it out on newspaper. Apply two coats of paint to the frame and allow it to dry thoroughly.
2. Lay your wooden cut out on newspaper next. Apply two coats of paint to it as well.
3. While your frame and cut out dry, cut your scrapbook paper to fit inside the frame. It will act as backdrop to your cut out.
4. Once the paint on both pieces is dry, start assembling. Do this by placing the paper in the frame. Glue the shape over it directly in the center.
5. Place the backing with the paper and the wooden shape attached back into the frame. Discard the glass as you will not be placing it back into the frame.
Your frame is now ready to be displayed! Hang it just as you would a picture in any space you could use a pop of color.
Katie Femia is a wife and mother of three. She loves vintage finds, handmade goodness, the frugal life, and the long road to publication. She just published her first YA novel, Peacock Swamp|The Nine, and enjoys writing for children and adults alike.