A creamy butternut squash soup made with Thai inspired ingredients like ginger, curry spices, coconut and lemongrass. Top it all off with toasted coconut, cilantro and red chili for an amazing finish that pops in your mouth.
Thai Coconut Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium Butternut Squash, Peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 3 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 3 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, cut into 6 inch pieces
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14oz) can Coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- toasted coconut flakes
- red pepper flakes
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add squash, onion, garlic, curry paste, ginger, salt, pepper flakes, fish sauce, and lemongrass. Stir to combine and cook until onion starts to soften.
Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the squash is soft, about 15 minutes.
Transfer back to the pot and stir in coconut milk and lime juice, bringing the pot back to a simmer over medium-low heat.
Serve hot topped with cilantro, coconut flakes and red pepper flakes.
Liz Lampman is a coffee-fuelled Mom of 2 girls and lives in Hamilton, Ontario. She enjoys cooking and baking, food photography, and reading.